Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Au Jus Pot Roast (CP)

I'm a big fan of my CP (aka crock pot) and lately I've been using it several times a week. One of the easiest complete meals you can make in the CP is pot roast. The first time I tried this, I found a pre-packaged meat/veggies/seasoning combo at my Super Walmart store. It came with a large pork roast (they have a beef option as well), a hefty portion of baby carrots, celery, onions, and red potatoes, as well as a dry seasoning pack which you add to one cup of water. All you have to do as put everything in the CP and pour the water and 4 hours later, dinner is served! So easy and perfect for busy days.

The first roast turned out pretty well, but I felt like the seasonings it came with were too salty, so the next time I made my own seasoning combination and rubbed the roast with it. The spices I used included brown sugar, seasoning salt, onion flakes, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Still added one cup of water and all the veggies the roast package came with, but discarded the seasonings that were included. Added one cup of water and was done. This turned out to be a huge hit at my house, however, I made it so often that the fam started getting bored with it. So, I had to find a way to switch it up! Pinterest to the rescue! I found a recipe that uses coke or pepsi and Au Jus to give the roast a very savory taste. It's definitely more flavorful than my own seasonings and it has just a little extra flavor boost with the Au Jus.

This recipe pairs perfectly with mashed potatoes or cheesy potatoes, rice or pasta, and any veggie.

Au Jus Pot Roast

1 pork roast or boneless ribeye
1 packet McCormick's Slow Cookers Savory Pot Roast seasoning
1 can of Coca Cola or Pepsi
1 packet of Au Jus seasoning

Pour one cup of water into your crock pot, add Pot Roast seasoning packet. Add your roast (I rubbed mine with brown sugar first to add some sweetness). Pour can of cola over the top. Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours. Just before you serve it, add the Au Jus packet and stir.

(Picture from original recipe)

(Picture of my own dinner plate)


No comments:

Post a Comment